In hindsight, I should have started this blog so long ago, but with having a baby, time is so valuable! But with today marking Victoria's 1st birthday, it's time. My plan for this blog is to write things down for Victoria to see later in her life, a way for me to document her growth and development. It all goes way to quickly. So, we'll start at the beginning.
In 2010, Andrew and I decided we wanted to try to start a family. After 6 months of trying, we were finally thrilled to find out that we were expecting on December 10, 2010, and that our new little addition would be joining us in August of 2011. The pregnancy was like a dream. I had very little complications and felt great the whole time, though I wasn't looking forward to going the majority of a hot, humid Minnesota summer at full term. Somehow, that little baby had other plans. July 16 & 17 Andrew and I were taking our hospitals birthing class, when I realized that I wasn't feeling the same. It had felt like the baby had dropped a little and I was having some very minor difficulties. Thinking nothing of it and knowing that I had my 36/37 week check up on the 18th right away in the morning, I brushed it off. In the evening of the 17th, we went to dinner with Andrew's brother, Gary, and his wife, Sam. We were then to see the final installment of Harry Potter. After dinner, I knew there was no way that I could make it through a movie. I was in a bit of pain and just really uncomfortable. So Andrew and I went home instead. The morning of the 18th I was still feeling out of sorts, but knowing that I had a doctor's appointment, I just kept pushing through. I went to the Dr for my 8am appointment only to find out that the Dr that I was seeing was actually in L&D with one of her other patients and my appointment needed to be rescheduled. I was not happy. I ended up calling into work and staying at my parents house a few miles from the Dr's office until my appointment at noon.
By this time the pain was definitely worse and coming at specific intervals. I started using my contractions tracker app on my phone wondering if that's what this pain was (I was a first time mom, I had no idea!). I go into the Dr office at noon. Very little talking as the Dr I saw was not my regular Dr. At the end of the appointment, she gave me a prescription to help me sleep (!) and then asked if I wanted to be checked. Seriously. I had her check me to find out that I was 2.5cm dilated and 80% effaced. A change from 0cm and 30% the previous week. She then told me to go to the hospital when I was about 4cm. And how am I supposed to know when that is?? Still not convinced that I was in labor, my mom and I went to Target to pick up some last minute things to put in my hospital bag (which wasn't put together). At that point I needed to get home. So my mom started driving us out to our house. On the way I called Andrew and told him he might want to start making his way home. Mom and I were almost home when I felt a gush. I didn't realize it at the time, but my water broke around 2pm that day.
Andrew got home, packed my bag, we loaded up the car and headed into the hospital. We arrived at North Memorial Maple Grove around 4-4:30pm. The admitted me to a L&D room to check my progress and see if my water did break. They confirmed that it did and said that I was now 5cm dilated. Okay, then. I guess we're having a baby! I then labored all afternoon and then at 10:37pm, July 18, 2011, Victoria Rose was born. I am thrilled to say that I was able to go the entire labor and delivery with no pain meds and that she was born at a healthy 6lbs even and 19 3/4 inches long.
And there ends Victoria's birth story!
No comments:
Post a Comment